Successful training empowers learners to make connections- with the learning content, with each other, among information received from multiple trainings, and between a challenge and its potential solutions. What sort of learning mechanisms can we build into training to encourage learners to seek connections? Here are some possibilities:
- Exploration: Encourage learners to select an area of interest for a deep-dive.
- Integration: Encourage learners to compare and contrast the information gathered from multiple trainings.
- Resolution: Encourage learners to resolve a current challenge they face as a group.
- Triggering: Encourage learners to identify hitherto unrecognized challenges using the information from the training.
- Reflective Inquiry: Encourage learners to move away from understanding the training content to analyzing, criticizing, evaluating, and manipulating the same.
- Enrichment: Encourage learners to use reflective inquiry methods to create NEW training content.
- Support: Encourage learners to train a team member on the same topic.
- Metacognition: Encourage learners to reflect on their learning process (keep a learning journal, bring their questions to a workshop set up expressedly to discuss the same, etc).